Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small), peeled, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- Place 1 tsp oil, quinoa and ½ tsp salt in a small pot (that comes with a lid) over medium-high heat. Stir about 1 minute to ever-so-slightly toast the seeds. Add water. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and allow quinoa to simmer for about 15 minutes, until it is tender.
- Pour cooked quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and allow any excess liquid to strain out. (Quinoa retains lots of liquid, so although this step is not absolutely necessary, it is highly recommended.)
- Add vinegar, honey and pepper to the drained quinoa. Mix to distribute evenly.
- While quinoa simmers, preheat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place sweet potato, 2 Tbsp oil, paprika, sumac, garlic and ¼ tsp salt onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 35 minutes, until edges of the sweet potato begin to char ever so slightly. Remove from oven; with a spatula, gently move sweet potatoes around so they don’t stick.
- Meanwhile, place almonds on second prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until almonds are fragrant and lightly golden. Allow each element to cool separately.
- Once cooled, combine quinoa, sweet potato, almonds, cranberries, scallions and parsley in a large bowl. Serve cold and enjoy!
Excerpted from Peas Love and Carrots: The Cookbook © 2020 By Danielle Renov. Published by ArtScroll Mesorah Publications.
Calories: 467kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 18g | Sodium: 470mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 32g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post