Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (about
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) can fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish.
- Combine the cashews, broth, flour and nutritional yeast in a blender. Puree until completely smooth; this can take up to 5 minutes depending on the strength of your machine. Periodically stop the machine to prevent it from overheating, and scrape down the sides of the blender jar with a rubber spatula to make sure you get everything.
- Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Heat the olive oil; then sauté the green beans and onion with a pinch of salt until the green beans are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté 7 to 10 minutes more. The mushrooms should have released most of their moisture.
- Add the blender mixture to the pan, along with the onion powder, remaining 1 tsp salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add half of the fried onions.
- Transfer the green bean mixture to the casserole and top with the remaining fried onions. Bake until browned and bubbly, 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Excerpted from The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining For Absolutely Every Occasion © 2016 by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Published by Little, Brown and Company.
Calories: 995kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 7g | Saturated Fat: 102g | Sodium: 570mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post