Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 4 people
- 1 3/4 pound eggplant
- 3/4 pound Tropea onion
- 1 pound tomatoes
- 5/8 pound goat cheese
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 ounce sugar
- 1 small bunch chives
- 6 basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the eggplant and slice them lengthwise. Sprinkle the slices generously with salt and let them drain.
- After about 20 minutes, sauté them with a bit of oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. When they’re done, lay them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Mix the caprino with the chopped chives (keep aside a few stems) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Wash the tomatoes and purée them with about 2 tbsp. (30 ml) of oil.
- Strain the purée with a fine mesh strainer and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the onions and heat them in a pan with the sugar and vinegar. When the liquid reaches a boil, turn off the heat and strain it.
- Blend the basil leaves with 2 tbsp. (30 ml) of oil.
- Place a tablespoon of cheese in the middle of each eggplant slice and roll it up.
- Tie chive stems around it so it stays closed. Arrange them on serving plates with a spoonful of sweet and sour onions, a spoonful of tomato sauce and a drizzle of basil oil.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post