Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 8 pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, for dough wash
- Granulated sugar, for garnish
- 2 cups persimmon, cubed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- Sift flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add shortening and butter; work in with your hands until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time; work in with your hands to a smooth dough. Form into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine persimmon, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, pepper and paprika. Let fruit sit and soften 15 minutes.
- Drain persimmon mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a smaller bowl. Reserve liquid.
- Place drained persimmons into a medium-sized bowl. Add goat cheese and chives to persimmon mixture, along with 5-6 tablespoons reserved liquid. Mix together gently.
- To assemble, roll out your dough to about 1⁄8-inch thickness on a lightly floured work surface. Using cutter of your choice (I used the round opening of a mason jar), cut dough out to an even number of pieces (14-16). Lay cut dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet; chill in fridge 5–10 minutes.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl to use as a wash. Remove dough from refrigerator, and on 7-8 pieces place a heaping tablespoon of filling in center of dough. Then place second half of pieces on top of each with filling. Seal by pressing edges with tines of a fork. Cut vent holes in tops. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15–20 minutes, until tops start turning golden brown.
Dina Deleasa-Gonsar loves to create recipes and, in particular, experiment with ingredients. See more of her creations at dishitgirl.com.
Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Sodium: 112mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post