Photo Credit: Vanessa Rees and Joshua Foo
Rich and buttery and sweet and cinnamony, these iconic Jewish cookies will satisfy all sweet tooths.
Categories: dessert, holiday, recipes, vegan, vegetarian Tags: cookies, holiday desserts, holiday recipes, jewish cookies
Shop IngredientsHow this works
Keyword: cookies, holiday cookies, holiday desserts, holiday recipes, jewish cookies
Servings: 4 dozen cookies
Author: Isa Chandra Moskowitz
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup refined coconut oil, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup plain unsweetened coconut or soy yogurt
For the basic filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
Prepare the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour and salt, and then add coconut oil in small clumps. Use a pastry cutter to cut oil into flour until pea-sized crumbs have formed. Add applesauce and yogurt, and mix to form a stiff dough.
- Divide dough into four equal parts, and then form them into disks. Wrap each with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- In a food processor, pulse together sugar, cinnamon and walnuts until tiny crumbs.
- On a clean, flat surface, roll a disk into a 9-inch circle. Sprinkle some cinnamon mixture all over disk, leaving about ½ inch at edges.
- Have ready a large-rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. Use a pizza cutter to cut each round into 12wedges, like a pizza pie. Roll each triangle from the base up to the point to form the rugelach. Place rolled rugelach on baking sheet, and put in refrigerator while you prepare other disks.
- When all cookies are formed, let chill another 15 minutes in fridge. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until lightly browned and a little puffy, 18 to 22 minutes. The sugar should appear caramelized and melty. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Excerpted from The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion © 2016 by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Published by Little Brown and Company.
Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 14mg | Sugar: 2g