Roasted Chickpeas and Pumpkin Seeds
Though this recipe can easily be made with canned chickpeas, it is worth the extra effort of using dried.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1/2 cup celery, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup onions, cut into large pieces
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & left whole
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Olive oil
- Crushed red pepper
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in water, covering by 3 inches. The next day, in a medium pot over medium heat, add the beans, celery, carrots, onions, and garlic, and 3 cups water. Cook until the beans are tender, about 55 minutes, adding more water if needed. Allow the beans to cool. Drain and dry the beans with paper towels. Discard the vegetables and garlic.
- Preheat your oven to 250°F. Transfer chickpeas to half a baking sheet. On the other side, scatter the pumpkin seeds. Bake everything till crunchy, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium pot, add an inch or so of olive oil. Heat the oil until it reaches a steady 375°F. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chickpeas to the oil and fry until very crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chickpeas to a plate lined with paper towels. Once cooled slightly, toss them with the pumpkin seeds and sea salt.
Theresa Greco is the creator of The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine, where she shares her passion for delicious food and a healthy lifestyle with recipes and reviews. She spends her days working as a law librarian, but her nights and weekends are spent as a home chef, avid food writer and social media expert. She enjoys motivating people to eat healthier both in and out of the kitchen with recipes and dining choices that are inspired by her love for home cooked/non-processed foods.