- 1 small package pita bread (about six pita pockets)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat oven to 400°; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.Cut each pita bread into eight triangles. Place triangles on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Brush each triangle with oil mixture.
- Bake about 7 minutes, or until lightly browned and crispy. Watch carefully, as they tend to burn easily.
Roasted Carrot Baba Ghanoush
- Olive oil, for grilling and garnish
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped pistachios, for garnish
- Smoked paprika, for garnish
- Prepare grill. Thoroughly clean and oil. Preheat to medium high.
- Lightly coat eggplants and carrots with olive oil. Grill covered, about 10 minutes. Turn vegetables; then continue to roast another 12–15 minutes, turning both eggplants and carrots every few minutes.**
- Once veggies are charred and beginning to soften, remove from grill and place in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and allow to steam 15 minutes.
- Remove skin from eggplants; squeeze a bit of water out of eggplants. Place eggplants and carrots in a food processor along with remaining ingredients, except garnishes. Pulse until smooth; season to taste.
- Place dip in a shallow bowl; refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped pistachios and a dusting of smoked paprika. Serve with pita chips and fresh veggies
**If no grill is available, place rack in middle of oven, and turn broiler on high. Line baking sheet with foil. Pierce eggplants with a fork to allow steam to escape. Place eggplants and carrots on baking sheet, and broil 2 minutes on all sides, until skins darken and begin to smell smoky. Turn off broiler; turn oven to 375˚, and roast veggies until very soft: carrots approximately 15–20 minutes, eggplants 25–30. Allow to cool. Proceed with step 4.