Red Pepper Chia Seed Jam
This sweet and savory jam enlivens breads and breakfast muffins. Try this chia seed jam on some yummy
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons honey, agave or maple syrup, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, plus more if needed
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until peppers break down and are syrupy, 5–10 minutes.
- Mash peppers with the back of a spatula or a potato masher, leaving them as smooth or as lumpy as you like. Simmer until the mixture reaches a jam-like consistency; adjust seasoning as needed.
- Remove saucepan from heat; let stand 5 minutes, until mixture thickens. This won’t quite reach the firm consistency of regular jam, but it will noticeably thicken. If you like a thicker consistency, stir in more chia seeds, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Once jam has cooled to room temperature, transfer to a jar; refrigerate 15–20 minutes. Store in fridge for about 2 weeks. Jam will thicken and set once completely chilled.
Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 59mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g