Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 4 tablespoons organic butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ head small purple cabbage, chopped (4 cups)
- 1 organic baking apple, such as Honeycrisp; cored and chopped (do not peel)
- ½ cup diced prunes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 slices organic raisin bread
- 10 sheets phyllo dough
- 5 tablespoons oil, such as canola, safflower or coconut
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone pan liner.
- Place 3 tablespoons butter and the lemon juice in a medium pan over medium heat. When butter is melted, add cabbage, apple, prunes, salt and spices. Cook 10–15 minutes, until cabbage is slightly soft. Cool for 10 minutes, and stir in sour cream.
- Toast raisin bread until very brown, and place in a small blender or food processor. Pulse to make breadcrumbs.
- Place first sheet of phyllo dough on a piece of parchment paper (with the long side nearest you). Brush with oil, top with another phyllo sheet, and repeat for a total of five layers. Sprinkle one-quarter of the breadcrumbs on the lower third of the phyllo.
Place half of the cabbage mixture over the crumbs. Spread across the dough, leaving 2 inches on each side. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the breadcrumbs.
- Fold in the sides and begin rolling the strudel away from you to form a long pastry. Carefully transfer the roll to baking sheet with a long spatula (it will be fragile). Repeat with remaining ingredients for a second roll.
- Bake 25 minutes, until golden brown. Spread last tablespoon of butter over strudels; cut individual servings with a serrated knife.
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 18g | Sodium: 323mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post