Sweet pineapples and spicy chilies make tacos an irresistible treat for a quick meal. Since grains are forbidden in paleo, this recipe replaces the tortillas with lettuce.
- 2 pounds lean antibiotic-free pork loin, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup tequila or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 12–16 romaine or butter lettuce leaves
- Prepared salsa
- Cilantro, chopped
- Place pork, oregano, cumin, garlic, pineapple juice and tequila in a large bowl. Let sit for 15–30 minutes to marinade.
- Heat a large heavy skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil, and sauté onions until soft. Add pork with marinade and bring to a strong simmer. Add chipotle peppers. Cook down until marinade is reduced by two thirds. Add pineapple, and cook through until marinade is thick and pineapple is hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill lettuce leaves with pork pineapple mixture. Serve with salsa and chopped cilantro.