Paleo Chocolate Avocado Cake
Avocado and chocolate become best friends to create a rich, moist cake that even your kids will clamor for.
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark honey
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 ripe, medium avocados; peeled, seeded and mashed
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a loaf pan, and line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water and vanilla extract onto cocoa powder, and whisk to combine; it should be like a slightly runny paste.
- In a large bowl, sift almond flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add honey, coconut sugar and avocados to the bowl of a food processor. Process until avocado mixture is smooth and pale green.
- Add chocolate mixture to the food processor, and blend until well combined.
- Whisk eggs, and add them to the food processor; pulse 3–5 times to incorporate into the mixture.
- Gently fold chocolate-avocado mixture into the dry ingredients, adding chocolate chips if you’re using them.
- Pour batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake 50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. The cake will be a bit jiggly. Cool the cake for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 26g | Sodium: 140mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 36g