Olive Oil Ice Cream
This fruitful, healthful oil adds a unique flavor to frozen treats.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil*
- Sea salt, optional garnish
- Ice cream maker
- Dissolve sugar, heavy cream and half-and-half in a pot over medium heat; stir until sugar has melted. Add egg yolks in a slow but steady stream, stirring with a whisk until yolks are incorporated.
- Continue heating and stirring over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a wooden spoon, 8–10 minutes. Optionally filter mixture through a sieve to remove any small egg yolk solids.
- Add olive oil; stir to combine. Cool mixture overnight.
Before putting into ice cream maker, if mixture has separated from oil, stir to remix. Pour mixture into ice cream maker, and follow manufacturer’s instructions. Serve scoops with a dash of sea salt.
Recipe courtesy of Jennifer Che, tinyurbankitchen.com.
Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 36g | Sodium: 41mg | Sugar: 20g