Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 6 people
- 4 mandarin oranges, including 1 Tbsp zest (see tip)
- 3 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 cup almond flour
- 4 large organic eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp orange zest or 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 Tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish, plus additional for greasing pan
- Pinch of large flake sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line 8 inch springform pan with parchment andgrease lightly with olive oil.
- In small bowl, combine mandarin zest, hemp hearts, and almond flour andset aside.
- Using stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites on highuntil stiff and cloudlike. (They are done when the bowl can be held upside down over your head without the whites falling out.) Scrape whites carefully into another bowl and set aside.
- To bowl of stand mixer, add egg yolks and sugar. Using paddle attachment, beat on high, scraping down sides of bowl once or twice. When sugar is dissolved and batter drops in ribbons from paddle, stop mixer and add cocoa powder and orange zest (or blossom water). On lowest setting, stir to incorporate, stopping mixer and scraping down bowl once or twice. Increase speed to medium-high and continue mixing until fully incorporated.
- Remove bowl from mixer and add almond flour mixture in three lots, folding in slowly by hand using spatula. Now add reserved whisked egg whites, folding egg whites in slowly. (Note the texture difference between the fluff yegg whites and the more paste-like chocolate almond mixture.) Continue folding mixture gently until egg whites are mostly incorporated. The batter can be slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cake from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before releasing from the springform pan. Invert on plate and remove from pan. While still warm, arrange mandarin slices on top. Fill holes in the center of each mandarin wheel with a few slivered almonds, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve immediately.
Calories: 0.139kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 70mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post