Jalapeño Butternut Squash Bisque
Recipe Type: Soup
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 (32-ounce) can beef or vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 large white onions, roughly chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 pound celery, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch (about 1 ounce) thyme, stems cut off
- 2 medium jalapeños, cut into 1 / 8-inch slices
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 5 teaspoons sherry cooking wine
- Chopped basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Spread squash, vegetables and thyme on two baking sheets; roast 15–20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot over medium-high heat, steep jalapeños in beef stock and water.
- Add roasted vegetables, thyme and squash to the stockpot; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth. Return the pot to the stove and simmer. Whisk in the heavy cream, salt, white pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and sherry.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and garnish with chopped basil.