Italian Split Pea Soup
This recipe is full of protein, iron, fiber, potassium, folate and antioxidants.
- ½ cup dry navy beans
- 1½ cups yellow or green split peas, rinsed
- 3 cups tomato juice
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup turnip, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 ounces uncooked radiatore, or other dry pasta
- 8 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, soak beans only in 3½ cups water overnight.
- Add 8¼ cups more water and split peas, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until peas and beans are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pasta and cheese. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add pasta and cook 8–10 minutes, until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 563mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 9g