Photo Credit: Icelandic Provisions
Skyr Spice Cake with Toffee Sauce
Perfectly spiced and super moist, this Icelandic skyr spice cake is topped with a ridiculously addicting crumb topping and toffee sauce!
Share this Post
For the Icelandic Skyr Spice Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces Icelandic Provisions Plain Skyr (2 containers)
For the Spiced Crumb Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
For the Toffee Sauce:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
For the cake and crumble:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, and molasses until creamy, about 1 minute. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition. Add in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Use a spatula to fold into wet ingredients until incorporated. Fold in skyr. Batter will be thick. Place batter into prepared pan, smoothing batter to the edges.
- To make the crumb topping, combine flour, brown sugar, spices, and salt. Pour in melted butter and toss with your hands to combine. Use your fingers to rub mixture together until it resembles the texture of wet sand and pieces the size of peas remain.
- Crumble mixture on top of spice cake batter, then bake cake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan and serving with toffee sauce.
For the toffee sauce:
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine heavy cream, butter, sugar, and rum (optional). Heat for 5 minutes, until sugar dissolves completely and mixture begins to bubble.
- Remove from heat and place into a cup with a pour spout. When ready to serve cake, pour toffee over the top. Cake is best served warm, day of!
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post