Hummus. Humos. Houmous.
Keep this creamy treat on hand for snacking and healthy recipe substitutions.
- 1 cup well-cooked or canned chickpeas, liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole or 1/3 cup jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup assorted, chopped olive
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (peanuts, walnuts, cashews, pine nuts)
- Puree the first five ingredients in a food processor or a medium bowl with an immersion blender to desired consistency.
- Season to taste.
- For a smoother texture, slowly add more chickpea liquid, olive oil or water.
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds. For a lower-fat option, swap half an avacado for the tahini in this recipe.