Homemade Pork and Beans
There is something comforting about the combination of sweetened beans mixed with pork.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 pound dry navy beans, soaked overnight
- 3 slices bacon, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 cups low-sodium chicken stock, or water
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and onion. Cook until the onion becomes translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Combine the brown sugar, vinegar, molasses, Dijon, and paprika. Add to the skillet and cook stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Strain the beans and add them to the pan. Pour in 1 cup chicken stock or water. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cover. Bake for 2 hours, until beans soak up the liquid. If the beans are still hard add more stock or water and continue cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Theresa Greco is the creator of The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine, where she shares her passion for delicious food and a healthy lifestyle with recipes and reviews. She spends her days working as a law librarian, but her nights and weekends are spent as a home chef, avid food writer and social media expert. She enjoys motivating people to eat healthier both in and out of the kitchen with recipes and dining choices that are inspired by her love for home cooked/non-processed foods.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post