Healthy Ramen Noodle Salad with Chicken
Bring this healthy ramen noodle chicken salad to your next office potluck and let it steal the show without a single packet of ramen.
- 1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, broken in thirds
- 1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 medium avocados, diced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 pound green cabbage, cut into strips
- A bit under 1 lb. chicken breasts, boneless & skinless (cut into thin cutlets)
- Cook pasta as per package instructions undercooking by a few minutes (al dente). While pasta is cooking, in a medium bowl, whisk Asian Vinaigrette ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat large cast-iron or ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl a few tablespoons of Asian Vinaigrette to coat. Add cooked and drained spaghetti; cook for about 20 minutes or until majority is brown and crispy (70-80% is good enough), stirring occasionally. While doing so, get other ingredients ready: chop cabbage, dice avocado and grate carrots.
- Transfer crispy noodles to a large salad bowl. Toast sesame seeds if necessary and add to the bowl.
- Return skillet to a medium heat and swirl another tbsp of Asian Vinaigrette to coat. Add chicken and cook for 7 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer to a cutting board and slice. Add to the salad bowl.
- Add cabbage to a skillet and quickly pan fry for a few minutes, stirring constantly, so it gets coated in chicken juices and softens a bit. Transfer to a bowl. Pour remaining dressing on top and stir to mix.
STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS: Refrigerate salad and dressing separately for up to 2 days. This crispy ramen noodle salad is the most crispy within the first 2 hours of dressing. I suggest to dress it up right before serving. I tried salad 4 hours after it was mixed and it was delicious, noodles less crispy but still chewy. Yum!