Grilled Pear Salad with Pistachio-Crusted Goat Cheese Grapes
Grapes coated in goat cheese and ground pistachios give this salad its oomph.
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 5 ounces reduced or no added sugar raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 Bartlett pears (red or green), cut into ½-inch-thick wedges
- 2 cups red, seedless grapes
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- ½ cup pistachios, ground
- 2 cups mixed salad greens, chopped
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- ¾ cup cashews, honey-roasted or raw
- Preheat grill to 350–400° (medium-high). Grill pear wedges with grill covered, 1–2 minutes on each side, until golden. When finished, remove pears from grill and allow to cool. (Note: If a grill is not accessible, pears can be sautéed in a non-stick pan until golden brown.)
- Whisk together red wine vinegar, jam, basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly add canola oil while constantly whisking until smooth.
- Cover grapes with goat cheese, and roll them in ground pistachios to make a crust.
- In a large bowl, combine mixed greens, onion, raspberries and nuts. Add desired amount of vinaigrette, and toss.
- Serve and top with pears and crusted grapes, plus any remaining goat cheese.
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson and Wales University. Chef Adam Sacks, Jack Maguire and Morgan Sauer developed these recipes. Known as a leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. Learn more at jwu.edu/denver.