Green Lentil Soup with Kale and Mushrooms
This vegetarian soup is perfect for frosty winter nights. Lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur or Tuscan kale, is preferred for this lentil soup recipe, but any variety will work.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 1½ cups green lentils, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- 2 medium carrots, medium dice
- 2 stalks celery, medium dice
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 12 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and sliced into thin ribbons
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Grated Gruyère cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Drain and rinse lentils.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery with a pinch of salt, and sauté 7–10 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in mushrooms, basil, paprika and red pepper flakes; stir occasionally until mushrooms soften, about 5 minutes. Drizzle additional oil if needed to keep mushrooms from sticking.
- Add lentils and broth. Cover and simmer 25–30 minutes, until lentils are cooked through.
- Stir in kale and let wilt. Season with vinegar, lemon juice, tamari and salt.
- Top with grated Gruyère and serve.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1927mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 6g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post