- 1½ cups green lentils, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- 2 medium carrots, medium dice
- 2 stalks celery, medium dice
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 12 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and sliced into thin ribbons
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Grated Gruyère cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Drain and rinse lentils.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery with a pinch of salt, and sauté 7–10 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in mushrooms, basil, paprika and red pepper flakes; stir occasionally until mushrooms soften, about 5 minutes. Drizzle additional oil if needed to keep mushrooms from sticking.
- Add lentils and broth. Cover and simmer 25–30 minutes, until lentils are cooked through.
- Stir in kale and let wilt. Season with vinegar, lemon juice, tamari and salt.
- Top with grated Gruyère and serve.
PER SERVING: 234 CAL; 14G PROTEIN; 6G FAT; 33G CARB (6G SUGARS); 1,927MG SODIUM; 13G FIBER