Green Chile and Cheese Pupusas
Lush masa wraps around cheese and chiles in these gluten-free Salvadoran treats.
- 2 cups masa harina corn flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles, diced
- 3-4 tablespoons canola oil
- Plastic wrap or wax paper
- Place masa harina and salt in a large bowl. Add water, and stir until well combined.
- Divide dough into eight rounds. Roll each into a ball, and flatten into a disk with your hands. Form a dough cup in your palm, and add cheese and ½ teaspoon chiles. Don’t overfill. Bring edges together to encase the cheese and form a ball.
- Pat out the pupusa into a disk on the plastic wrap or wax paper. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 4 minutes on each side, until browned. Add more oil as needed to cook all pupusas. Serve immediately.