A great summertime dessert and potluck favorite.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or use rice flour for gluten-free version)
- 3 tablespoons flour for processing nuts
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg
- 3 tablespoons lowfat 1% milk
- 1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup neufchatel cheese (lowfat cream cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1 cup strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon dried coconut, shredded
- 2 medium kiwi fruit, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 4 apricots
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375. For the crust you will want to grind the almonds and walnuts in a coffee grinder so that they resemble flour or have a fine mealy texture. It helps to combine with a tablespoon of flour so that the nuts themselves don’t turn into “nut butter” in your coffee grinder. We used one tablespoon flour for the almonds and 2 for the walnuts (and ground them in 2 batches)
- Combine all the dry ingredients (whole wheat pastry flour through sugar) and stir (we did everything in a Kitchenaid Mixer Stand which made this very easy). Add butter, vanilla, egg, and milk and mix on speed 2 until mixture comes together into a ball.
- Roll out this “cookie crust” like you would a pizza crust. It is helpful to do this on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper so it is ready to go right into the oven. Shape it into a large round disk that is about 1/4 inch thick. Use your hands to soften the edges. Bake crust for about 13 minutes or until slightly golden and cooked in the center. Remove and allow to cool before adding toppings.
- Puree cottage cheese, cream cheese, vanilla, and honey with a mixer or blender. Set aside.
- On the stovetop or in the microwave, combine 1 cup strawberries with honey (or substitute strawberry jam for the honey). Bring to a simmer for just about 2 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then puree.
- Spread a thin layer of the creamy mixture atop the cooled crust. Follow this up with the strawberry puree. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of shredded coconut. Now use your imagination to decorate the top with your favorite seasonal fruit. We used kiwi, apricots, raspberries and blueberries
Fruit pizza is a lot of fun to create with kids.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 150mg | Fiber: 6g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post