Photo Credit: Melina Hammer
Fancy Weeknight Salmon Salad
This “fancy” salad feels impressive but is also super simple to prepare.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1/2 pound salmon, in one large piece, skin and bones discarded (doesn't matter how thick the piece is)
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, tough stems discarded, roughly chopped
- Cooking spray (my preference is olive oil spray, but use whatever you have)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large or 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced (about a large handful sliced shallots, or red onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or just more red wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
- 5 ounces fresh baby arugula
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, roughtly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 425º.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place salmon in middle of the pan and surround it with the mushrooms. Coat fish and mushrooms generously with cooking spray and sprinkle everything with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast until the fish flakes easily and is opaque in the center (test by poking it with a paring knife), and mushrooms are tender and browned in spots, about 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place ½ teaspoon salt in a small bowl with shallots, sugar and red wine vinegar.
- Stir well to dissolve salt and sugar and let mixture sit while the fish roasts.
- Place olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice and tahini in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Season the dressing to taste with salt. Add arugula to the bowl and toss well to combine. Transfer arugula to a large serving platter.
- Break fish into large pieces and place them on top of the arugula. Top fish with the roasted mushrooms and top those with the shallots and their pickling liquid. Top with the avocado and almonds. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from Simply Julia: 110 Easy Recipes for Healthy Comfort Food © 2021 by Julia Turshen. Published by Harper Wave, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Reprinted by permission.
Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 21g | Sodium: 782mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post