Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 tablespoon olive oil with a nut of butter (about 1 oz)
- 1 organic chicken, roughly 3 lbs in weight
- 2 preserved lemons, cut into strips
- 6 ounces cracked green olives
- 2 teaspoons dired thyme or oregano divided
- Small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 onion grated
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3/4 ounces fresh ginger peeled and grated
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Fingerful of saffron threads
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients for marinade; rub over inside and outside of chicken. Cover, and chill in refrigerator 1–2 hours.
- Heat olive oil and butter in base of a tagine, or a heavy-based casserole pot, and brown chicken on all sides. Tip in any leftover marinade, and add enough water to come halfway up sides of chicken. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, and cover with a lid. Simmer about 50 minutes, turning chicken from time to time.
- Add preserved lemon, olives and some of the thyme. Cover with lid again, and simmer 20 minutes. Check seasoning, and sprinkle the rest of the thyme and chopped parsley over the top. Serve immediately from the tagine with fresh bread or couscous.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post