Don’t Toss That Chickpea Liquid!
This unusual ingredient is a vegan replacement for egg whites.
By: Live Naturally StaffPRINT
Categories: dessert, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian Tags: chickpeas, cookies, gluten free, meringue, vegan, vegetarian
Shop IngredientsHow this works
Keyword: chickpeas, cookies, gluten-free, meringue, vegan, vegetarian
Servings: 12 cookies
Author: Adapted from recipe by Katrina Judd
- Liquid from 1 (15-ounce) can of chickpeas
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup organic coconut palm sugar, milled into powder
- Preheat oven to 220°.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add chickpea liquid, cream of tartar and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer on high for 1 minute.
- Add sugar gradually; continue to beat until stiff peaks hold in the meringue.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon teaspoons of the meringue onto lined baking sheet; leave 1 inch of space between cookies.
- Bake for 1 hour, 10 minutes.