Photo Credit: Mark Reinfeld
Curry Kale Salad
Bollywood meets kale in this wholesome salad with Indian spices.
Servings: 6 cups
- 4 cups fairly tightly packed stemmed and thinly sliced kale
- ¾ cup seeded and diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn
- ½ cup peeled and grated carrot
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup dried currants or raisins (optional)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
Simple Curry Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil*
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons wheat-free tamari or other soy sauce to taste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder (optionally toasted)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare the salad: Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss well.
- Prepare the dressing: Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
- *For an oil-free version, replace the sesame oil with ¼ cup of mashed avocado.Add the dressing to the salad and gently massage the dressing into the kale.
Excerpted from Healing the Vegan Way: Plant-Based Eating for Optimal Health & Wellness by Mark Reinfeld. Copyright © 2016. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 150mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g