Curry powder often contains 12 to 15 different spices, each of which provides its own health benefits. The turmeric in curry powder is an anti-inflammatory and is said to protect against Alzheimer’s. Black pepper, cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, coriander and cumin all have properties to aid digestion. In this vibrant curry kale salad, green, red, yellow and orange colors are represented several times over!
- 4 cups fairly tightly packed stemmed and thinly sliced kale
- ¾ cup seeded and diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn
- ½ cup peeled and grated carrot
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup dried currants or raisins (optional)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
Simple Curry Dressing
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil*
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons wheat-free tamari or other soy sauce to taste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder (optionally toasted)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare the salad: Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss well.
- Prepare the dressing: Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
- *For an oil-free version, replace the sesame oil with ¼ cup of mashed avocado.Add the dressing to the salad and gently massage the dressing into the kale.
Nutrition Facts per serving (130 g): Calories 260, Fat Calories 120, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 150 mg, Total Carb 29 g, Dietary Fiber 5 g, Sugars 3 g, Protein 8 g
Excerpted from Healing the Vegan Way: Plant-Based Eating for Optimal Health & Wellness by Mark Reinfeld. Copyright © 2016. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.