Buttermilk Biscuits with Scallions & Cheddar
These biscuits are so light, flaky and buttery. They are best eaten straight from the oven!
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 90 grams (3/4 cup) sorghum flour plus more for dusting
- 103 grams (3/4 cup) sweet rice flour
- 36 grams (¼ cup) tapioca starch
- 26 grams (1/4 cup) potato starch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk powder or 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, cut into 8 pieces
- 56 grams (½ cup) shredded sharp-cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions diced (about 2 tablespoons); white and light-green parts
- A few grinds of black pepper to taste
- 2 egg whites (65 grams or ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter for browning
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, sweet rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, buttermilk powder and salt. With a pastry cutter or your hands, cut butter into flour mixture until it is crumbly and resembles a coarse meal. Add cheese, green onion and black pepper.
- Beat egg whites in a separate large mixing bowl until very foamy. Add cold water and flour mixture to egg whites all at once. Mix with a rubber scraper or spoon until dough starts to come together.
- Transfer dough onto a surface that has been lightly dusted with sorghum flour. If sticky, add 1–2 Tbsps sorghum flour to top of dough and pat into a 6x6-inch and 1-inch-thick square. Cut biscuits into nine even squares. Place about 1 inch apart on baking sheet, and brush lightly with the melted butter.
- Bake 13–15 minutes. Let biscuits cool on baking sheet, and then serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post