Photo Credit: Barilla
Barilla Rigatoni with Olives, Eggplant, Tomato and Basil
Add savory eggplant to your pasta for a filling, meat-free meal.
- 1 box Barilla Rigatoni
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 can (28 oz) Italian-style peeled tomatoes
- 5 leaves basil, torn
- ½ cup Romano cheese, grated
- salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Set oven to 400◦F.
- Season the eggplant with salt and 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil; bake until thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet pan sauté the garlic and pepper flakes with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil for one minute; add the sliced olives and roasted eggplant and sauté for several minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for five minutes; season with salt, if needed.
- When pasta is cooked al dente, drain the pasta and toss with the sauce; stir in cheese and basil before serving.