Photo Credit: Barilla
Barilla Fettuccine with Butternut Squash and Cremini Mushrooms
Fall is here, and so is butternut squash! This sweet and starchy gourd goes great with pasta.
- 1 box Barilla Fettuccine
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash, cubed
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chiffonade
- salt and black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, sauté the onion with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for three minutes over medium heat, add butternut squash, and sauté for five minutes.
- Add the veggie broth and simmer until thoroughly cooked. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat, and allow to cool down.
- Process half of the butternut squash mixture in the blender until smooth. Put the blended mixture back into the pan with the cubed butternut squash and stir.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large skillet pan, sauté the cremini mushrooms with 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil over high heat until slightly brown, stirring occasionally; season with salt and pepper and add to the butternut squash mixture. When pasta is cooked to al dente, drain and toss with the sauce. Finish with cheese, parsley and remaining olive oil.