Swap sweet for savory in the morning.
Servings: 8 scones
- 1/2 pound asparagus, lightly steamed and trimmed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Trim ends from asparagus, and discard or save for soup stock. Chop tips and stalks into ¼-inch pieces, reserving tips apart from stalks.
- Stir together flours, baking powder, salt, pepper and cayenne in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces. Using clean fingers, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in 3/4 cup buttermilk and honey. Fold in cheese and asparagus stalk pieces (but not tips).
- Turn dough onto floured work surface, and knead six or seven times. Shape dough into one large round or two smaller rounds. Using sharp knife, cut into triangles (ideally 8 to 12 scones total). Place triangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush scones with remaining buttermilk; then press two or three asparagus tips into tops.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.5g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 383mg | Fiber: 3g