Swap sweet for savory in the morning.
Servings: 8 scones
- 1/2 pound asparagus, lightly steamed and trimmed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 425.
Trim ends from asparagus, and discard or save for soup stock. Chop tips and stalks into ¼-inch pieces, reserving tips apart from stalks.
Stir together flours, baking powder, salt, pepper and cayenne in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces. Using clean fingers, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in 3/4 cup buttermilk and honey. Fold in cheese and asparagus stalk pieces (but not tips).
Turn dough onto floured work surface, and knead six or seven times. Shape dough into one large round or two smaller rounds. Using sharp knife, cut into triangles (ideally 8 to 12 scones total). Place triangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush scones with remaining buttermilk; then press two or three asparagus tips into tops.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.5g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 383mg | Fiber: 3g