This lunch is served in an ecolunchboxoval & snack cup. For an extra-hearty meal, top salad with poached salmon.
Recipe Type: Salad
Author: Genevieve Doll
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups quinoa
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 4 stalks celery, small dice
- 4 medium carrots, small dice
- ½ medium cucumber, small dice
- 3 green onions; green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and salt, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook about 20 minutes, until water is absorbed. Turn off heat, and steam with lid on for 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet, and spread out to cool. Place in fridge until quinoa reaches room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine vegetables and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss with vegetables to combine.
- Stir in cooled quinoa. Season to taste.
PER SERVING: 278 CAL; 9 G PROTEIN; 11 G FAT; 35 G CARB (3 G SUGARS); 1,017 MG SODIUM; 6 G FIBER (NUTRITIONAL VALUES CALCULATED AT NUTRITIONDATA.SELF.COM)