Asian Quinoa Salad
This salad comes together quickly and makes a large batch, perfect for hosting spring lunch with friends. If cooking for only one or two, the recipe can easily be cut in half.
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 4 stalks celery, small dice
- ½ medium cucumber, small dice
- 3 green onions; green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and salt, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook about 20 minutes, until water is absorbed. Turn off heat, and steam with lid on for 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet, and spread out to cool. Place in fridge until quinoa reaches room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine vegetables and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss with vegetables to combine.
- Stir in cooled quinoa. Season to taste.