Photo Credit: Jennifer Olson
Zucchini Noodles with Red Clam Sauce
A lighter twist on classic linguini with clam sauce, this dish has all the traditional deliciousness, with the modern touch of spiralized zucchini noodles. Don’t let cooking clams in the shell intimidate you: It’s easy, and the dish is a lot of fun to make.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 pounds littleneck clams soaked and scrubbed
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1½ pounds) spiralized
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup clam juice plus extra for thinning sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Parsley and extra cheese, for garnish
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pan with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add clams to pot, and cover tightly. Cook until clams open and release their juice. Discard any clams that never open.
- Remove clams from pan, and strain juice through a fine strainer into a bowl; reserve for sauce. Remove clams from shells, and roughly chop. You may save a few clams in the shell for garnish.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, and add olive oil. When oil is hot, add garlic, and cook until fragrant and brown.
- Add zucchini, and cook 1–2 minutes, until zucchini begins to look slightly dry.
- Add marinara sauce, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes if using; stir to combine. Add ¼ cup clam juice and chopped clams; cook until hot. If too thick, add more clam juice (saved from cooking clams) 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach desired consistency. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Divide among four pasta bowls, and garnish with reserved clams in the shell, chopped parsley and more cheese.
Tip: Cooking zucchini briefly before you add sauce cooks off excess moisture, so the sauce clings to the “noodles” and they carry more flavor.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g | Sodium: 122mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post