Photo Credit: Steven Randazzo
Zucchini “Burnt Ends” with Herb Butter and Lemon
These skewers look cool as get all get-out.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly flattened with the side of a knife
- 1 teaspoon freshly and finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons stemmed, chopped fresh dill or mint, plus 3 tablespoons for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 small zucchini
- Coarse salt (sea or kosher) and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for oiling the grill grate
- Make lemon herb butter: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, lemon zest, 3 Tbsp chopped dill and pepper flakes (if using). Cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and let cool. Discard garlic.
- Cut off ends of zucchinis. Using a mandoline equipped with a finger guard, thinly slice each zucchini lengthwise. (slices should be thickness of a quarter.) Lay slices flat on a rimmed sheet pan. Lightly brush slices on both sides with lemon herb butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold a zucchini slice into an accordion shape and thread onto a flat skewer. Don’t worry if a few of the slices break—skewer the pieces back to back. If using round bamboo skewers, insert a second skewer parallel to the first. (This keeps the zucchini slices from spinning.) Slice, butter, season and skewer remaining zucchini. You should wind up with 8 kebabs.
- Set up your grill for direct grilling and heat to high. Arrange kebabs, skin side down and grill until darkly browned at the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and grill other side skin side down the same way, 6 to 8 minutes in all. Baste skewers with lemon herb butter as they grill. Transfer to a platter or plates for serving and spoon any remaining butter over them.
Adapted from How to Grill Vegetables: New Bible for Barbecuing Vegetables over Live Fire © 2021 Steven Raichlen. Photography by Steven Randazzo. published by Workman Publishing.
Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 16g | Sodium: 13mg | Fiber: 1g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post