Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 7 ounces firm tofu, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, garam masala, ginger and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and lentils, bring to a simmer, and cook over low heat until lentils are tender and resemble thick, coarse puree, 12 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and remaining 1 Tbsp oil in bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside until ready to serve.
- Stir tofu and spinach into lentils and cook until spinach is wilted and tofu is warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Top dal with tomato mixture. (Dal and tomato mixture can be refrigerated separately for up to 2 days.)
Excerpted from Cooking For One © 2020 by America’s Test Kitchen. Published by America’s Test Kitchen. All rights reserved.
Calories: 958kcal | Carbohydrates: 89g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 47g | Sodium: 1948mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 10g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post