Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 medium-sized pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cubed (my pumpkin was 17lb 10oz)
- 3 tablespoons Cajun spice mix
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 3 cups hot vegetable stock (you may need more if you pumpkin is large)
- squeeze of lemon juice, optional
- sea salt and ground pepper
- handful of pumpkin seeds
- drizzle of vegan cream, such as soy or oat
- sprinkle of dried chilli flakes
- toasted bread
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the pumpkin into a roasting pan with the Cajun spice mix, sage, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper and a drizzle of oil. Mix it all up using your hands so the pumpkin is well coated.
- Roast the pumpkin in your oven for around 45 minutes to 1 hour – or until it is tender.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add a drop of oil (or water if you’re keeping this recipe oil-free). Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté the mix with a pinch of salt for 4 minutes.
- Add the roasted pumpkin to the saucepan, followed by the milk and vegetable stock.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 10 minutes before blending it until super smooth. Blend the soup a few ladlefuls at a time and if it’s too thick add more vegetable stock.
- Check the soup is seasoned to your liking. If it needs an extra lift, add a squeeze of lemon juice, before serving with a few pumpkin seeds, a drizzle of vegan cream, a sprinkle of chilli flakes and some toasted bread.
- This soup can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Excerpted from Plants-Only Kitchen © 202o by Gaz Oakley. Published by Hardie Grant Quadrille.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post