Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin-olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely cubbed
- 1 celery stalk, finely cubed
- 5 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 15.5-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup vegan dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons double concentrate tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup vegetable stock, warmed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- Heat a medium-large stock pot or Dutch oven with the olive oil over low heat. Add in the onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the veggies have softened.
- Add in the beans and lentils, then pour in the wine. Stir all the ingredients together for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste followed by the bay leaf, then pour the stock into the pot, bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes over low heat.
- In the meantime, fill two-thirds of a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. As soon as the water boils, add roughly 1 tablespoon (15 g) of fine sea salt, fold in the spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf from the Bolognese sauce and season with ¼ teaspoon (or to taste) of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Drain the pasta and transfer it into the pot with the sauce. Stir to combine all the ingredients, then divide the pasta between the plates and serve.
Cooking Tip: Feeling cheesy? Top this classic pasta with a few dollops of vegan ricotta or dust with freshly-grated Parmesan-style vegan cheese just before serving. Excerpted from The Vegan Bean Cookbook By Andrea Soranidis, Page Street Publishing, Co. 2021. Photo credit: Andrea Soranidis.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post