Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 4 large, ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice the fresh tomatoes into quarters and spread evenly on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Wrap garlic cloves (skin on) in a packet of foil and set on the baking sheet with the tomatoes. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 30–40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake another 20 minutes.
- Slice the tip off each garlic clove and squeeze the garlic into the pot. Add roasted tomatoes, canned tomatoes with their liquid, the stock and the basil. Cover and bring to a boil; then simmer for 20–30 minutes.
- Use a food processor or immersion blender to puree the soup to desired texture.
- Return the soup to the stove to reheat, and season with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread or grown-up grilled cheese.
For a decadent, creamy soup, whisk in 1/3 cup heavy cream or softened cream cheese in step 6, stirring constantly.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post