Teriyaki Meatballs: Recipe Makeover
An all-American comfort food gets a makeover.
- 3/4 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (or substitute gluten free oats)
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 cups shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon organic cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix turkey, breadcrumbs and egg white. Divide mixture into 12 equal pieces; roll each into a ball with palm of hand. Coat bottom of 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray and cook meatballs over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Use a spatula to brown on all sides, then reduce heat.
Mix chicken broth, teriyaki sauce and vinegar; pour into skillet. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. stir in mushrooms, bell pepper, broccoli and zucchini. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bell pepper is crisp-tender and meatballs are no longer pink in center. Mix cornstarch and water; stir into sauce in skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Serve over noodles or rice.
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 471mg | Fiber: 2g