Shop IngredientsHow this works
- Soufflé dish, 8-to-10-cup size
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 6 cups ½-inch artisan whole-grain bread cubes
- 8 ounces semi-skim Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese, grated
- 6 eggs, divided
- 3½ cups milk or milk substitute
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease soufflé dish well.
- Place spinach in a large skillet with ¼ cup water. Steam until spinach is wilted. Drain, and chop finely. Set aside.
- Toss bread cubes and cheese in a large bowl.
- Divide 2 eggs into whites and yolks. Whisk the 2 yolks with 4 whole eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt, pepper and spinach. Pour over bread, and let sit 30 minutes.
- When a half-hour has passed, gently stir bread and egg mixture. Whip 2 egg whites with cream of tartar and a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into bread mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg whites until all whites are incorporated.
- Pour into greased baking dish. Bake 1 hour, plus 10–15 minutes until the center is just set. If top browns too much, cover with a loose foil tent.
- Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post