Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 2 pretzels
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat milk 20 seconds or until it reaches 110°F. Stir in sugar and yeast and allow to stand until yeast is bubbling and foamy, about 10 minutes.
- To the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, or a large bowl using a wooden spoon, add yeast mixture, egg yolk, and 2 tablespoons butter. Mix on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute, then add salt and our and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and knead 4 minutes or until dough is smooth. If mixing by hand, use the spoon to stir in the four until it forms a shaggy ball, then knead in the bowl by hand until dough is smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Form dough into a smooth ball, then cover bowl with a damp towel and let rise in a draft-free spot 1 hour or until doubled in bulk
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a 1⁄4 sheet pan with parchment. Spray parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium pot, add water and baking soda. Bring to a boil over high heat, about 10 minutes.
Excerpted from The Ultimate Baking for One Cookbook by Kelly Jaggers. Photographs by Kelly Jaggers. Copyright © 2021 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post