Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 20 bars
- 1 cup pitted dates such as medjool dates
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons brown rice miso paste (see tip)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegan whipped cream
- 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sweetened cranberry jam
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8 x 8–inch (20 x 20–cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat, warm the dates, vegan butter and brown sugar, constantly stirring until the dates are mostly dissolved. Add the miso paste and blend the mixture with an immersion blender until everything is smooth. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, baking soda and salt
- Combine wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon, spatula or with your hands until the cookie dough is smooth.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared baking pan and bake it for 15 minutes. Let the cookie cool in the pan completely before removing it.
- In a bowl, mix together the vegan whipped cream, vegan cream cheese and sweetened cranberry jam with a spoon until they are smooth. Spread the frosting on top of the gingerbread and cut it into squares or bars. Decorate the bars with cranberries.
- Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
Tip: You can also make these bars without miso paste. Just add ¼ teaspoon more salt to balance the flavors.Reprinted with permission from Fantastic Vegan Cookies. By Tiina Strandberg , Page Street Publishing, Co. 2021. Photo credit: Kylie Alexander.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post