Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 3 dozen
- 1 (10-ounce) French baguette
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups (about 2 pounds or 2 [12- to 16-ounce containers]) multicolor cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 3 to 5 ounces soft goat cheese
- Chopped fresh herbs such as basil, chives, or rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut baguette into ¼-inch-thick slices. Place on a baking sheet and brush lightly with all but 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until tomatoes soften and shrink. While tomatoes cook, pierce each one with the tip of a sharp knife. This will speed the cooking process and make a bit of sauce.
- Stir in salt, pepper, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until any liquid is thick and syrupy.
- Spread cheese evenly over toasted bread slices and top evenly with tomato mixture. Garnish, if desired.
Excerpted from Tomatoes: 50 Tried and True Recipes. ©2020 by Julia Rutland. Photography by Julia Rutland. Used with permission from Adventure Publications.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post