- 6 ounces beer; use darker beer for stronger flavor
- 13 ounces low-fat turkey kielbasa, sliced into half-inch pieces
- 8 ounces 2% milk
- 6 ounces Neufchâtel (reduced-fat cream cheese)
- 6 ounces (about ¾ cup) cheddar, cut into small chunks
- 6 ounces (about ¾ cup) smoked Gouda, cut into small chunks
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1 pound mini penne or gluten-free pasta
- Heat beer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a strong simmer. Add sausage
- and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes. Drain, and reserve warm beer.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, add milk and cream cheese. Whisk until cream cheese is
- melted. Add half a cup of beer and stir well.
- Add cheddar and Gouda a little at a time. Whisk well to smooth out the sauce.
- Add mustard, salt, cumin and sausage. Stir well. Add more beer if necessary to thin the sauce.
- In a large pot, heat water and add salt. Cook penne al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain, and return to the pan. Add sauce and sausage. Stir well and serve right away.