Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 30 cookies
- 1 ¼ cup gluten free all-purpose flour mixture (we used Arrowhead Mills)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup non hydrogenated shortening (we used Spectrum Organic)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, divided
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl cream together shortening, butter, and sugar. Add egg and ¼ teaspoon of the mint extract. Mix well. Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture. Batter will become fairly stiff and as it begins to come together, turn off mixer (or beaters) and roll into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to roll out the dough, remove from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough about 1/8 to ¼ inch thick and use a small round cookie cutter or a shot glass to cut into small rounds. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Re-roll as necessary until all of your dough is used.
- When done, remove cookies from oven and cool on a wire rack. While cookies are cooling prepare chocolate coating.
- Add chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds and then stir. Continue to heat in 15 second intervals, stirring well until chips have just melted. Stir in ½ teaspoon mint extract. Dip cookies in chocolate or use a butter knife to spread the frosting over the sides, bottom, and top of cookies. Place cookies bottom-side down on wax paper (easiest done on top of another baking tray). When all of the cookies have been coated place tray in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes or until chocolate coating has set.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post