Shop IngredientsHow this works
- Instant Pot (optional)
- 3 to 4 medium-sized beets
- 3 to 4 cooked beets, skins removed
- Flaky sea salt, like Maldon, or kosher salt
- White balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 ripe avocados
- Squeeze of lemon
- 4 slices quinoa-flax bread or other seedy bread
- Handful or arugula or pea shoots or micro greens
- Drizzle olive oil
- Place steamer insert and 1 cup water in the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Place beets on top of steamer insert. Secure lid in place. Turn valve to Sealing. Select manual, high pressure, and adjust the time to 35 minutes.
- When the time has lapsed, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then turn the valve to venting, carefully remove the lid, carefully remove the beets. A knife should insert into the flesh of the beet easily. If it doesn’t, return beets to pot and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer. Let beets cool for about 5 minutes or until you are able to handle them. Slice off the root end. Use paper towels to rub off the skin.
- Thinly slice the beets. I like to do this on a mandoline, but if this makes you nervous, simply slice the beets thinly with a knife. Transfer them to a shallow bowl and while they are still warm, season them with salt and douse them with vinegar. Set them aside.
- Halve the avocado, remove the pit, transfer the flesh to a bowl and mash with a pinch of sea salt and lemon to taste. Depending on the size of the avocados, you may need 1 or 2. Taste this mixture — it should taste well seasoned, so adjust with salt and lemon as needed.
- Place slices of bread in a toaster or stick them under the broiler (watching closely) until they are lightly toasted. Spread the avocado mash evenly across each slice of toast. Stack the slices of beets into 3 or 4 small piles. Point the tip of your knife into the center of the top beet on one of the stacks, then slice straight down through the stack. Repeat with the remaining stacks.
- Twist each beet into a little horn and nestle onto each avocado-smeared slice of toast until each slice of toast is covered with the beets. Sprinkle a tiny amount of greens over each toast. Drizzle with olive oil. Serve.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post