Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 delicata squash
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Thoroughly wash each squash and trim the ends. There is no need to peel the squash. Place each squash on a trimmed end and carefully slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
- Using a sharp knife, slice each half of the squash into thirds (widthwise) and then into thin “fries” about ½ inch (1.3 cm) thick.
- Lay the squash fries out on a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle with the salt. Rest for 15 minutes. The squash will shed moisture, helping the fries to become crispy in the oven.
- Pat the fries dry and toss them in the safflower oil. Lay the fries out evenly on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with the pepper. Roast the fries on the middle rack, cut side down, for 25 minutes. Flip the fries and cook for 20 more minutes. Carefully watch the fries in the second half of roasting. Turn the baking sheet as necessary to avoid burning.
- While the fries are roasting, prepare the aioli by combining the mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic. Garnish with lemon zest, if desired.
- Serve the squash fries immediately with the lemon-garlic aioli on the side.
Recipe note: Like their Idaho potato counterparts, delicata squash fries don’t reheat well. These are best served right out of the oven. Don’t worry though, you won't have leftovers. Excerpted From 5-Ingredient Vegan Cooking © 2021 by Kate Friedman. Published by Page Street Publishing.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post