Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 pound lean ground beef or lamb
- 2 tablespoons full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1 (1-inch) can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Steamed white or brown rice, for serving
- Naan, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the meatballs. In a medium bowl, place the ground beef, yogurt, green onions, ½ teaspoon o fthe chipotle chile powder, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix well until combined. Grease your hands with a bit of olive oil and roll the mixture into fifteen to twenty 2-tablespoon-size balls. Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until they are crisp on the outside and cooked through, about 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon of chile powder, the curry powder, and the cinnamon and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the coconut milk and ½ cup of water, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the sauce to a boil. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the meatballs and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens further, about 5 minutes more. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cilantro
- Serve the meatballs and sauce with rice and naan.
- Store any leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
“Reprinted from Half Baked Harvest Super Simple. Copyright © 2019 by Tieghan Gerard. Photographs copyright © 2019 by Tieghan Gerard. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.”
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post