- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 pounds purple potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Greek-style yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- heavy cream (if desired)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Place potatoes and parsnips in a pot of salted water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine first five sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to simmer until sauce is reduced by half and starting to thicken.
- Drain potatoes and parsnip well and return to pot temporarily. Stir in butter.
- Transfer potatoes and parsnip to food processor fitted with an S-blade and puree until smooth.
- Add yogurt, salt and pepper. For a richer consistency, add heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time.
- For the scallops, heat butter and olive oil in a medium skillet until hot but not burned. Place the scallops in the skillet. Cook until opaque and lightly browned on each side (about 2 minutes per side).